Thursday, October 7, 2010

So Sweet, So Tender

I have a slight obsession with the concept of poets (usually male,) reading poems about their girlfriends, significant others, or wives to audiences in which their girlfriends, significant others, or wives are a part of. So many times we imagine a female poet being the one who writes about her personal life and the romantic, personal persons in it (guilty as charged), but there's something so sweet and incredibly tender and endearing about how when a man reads a poem about his girlfriend/S.O/wife, he never looks at her, never acknowledges her, never puts her on the spot, and yet, you can see the understanding pass silently between the two.

These two poems come from two different poetry readings I sat in on. The first one comes from a reading given by Galway Kinnell at the Burlington Book Festival, and the second was a reading by one of my professors at Champlain College, Warren Baker. Both were poems about their wives when they were younger, and I'll admit to watching their wives like hawks after I realized who the poems being read were about. Like seasoned poker players, neither woman had any sort of tell that they felt any sort of way about it.

I think I would dance on my seat.

The Pulitzer and His Prize
She sits like any other member of the audience,
Periodically fidgeting to get more comfortable in the folding theater seat,
As his voice slides over her,
Touching everyone else as well,
And she shares him equally.
Unlike other audience members,
She never looks at her watch.
Later,
As they walk through the dark,
Arm-in-arm,
She leans into him and sighs.
"I've always loved
When you read the one
About me."

Literary Couples
She sits,
Front row,
As he reads
Aloud
About watching her sleep.
So intimate,
So sweet;
What it's like
For all these strangers
To hear how he feels about her,
I always wonder about.
She sits,
Front row,
Silently,
Not moving,
And I can't help but wonder,
With longing
If I will ever sit,
Front row,
Silently,
Maybe moving,
But just a little bit,
And listen to a man
Speak about what it's like
To watch me sleep.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment