Saturday, February 6, 2010

The All-American Nomad's College Life, Excerpt 5:

“Constant Constellations”

I walk out onto the balcony of my brand-new Florentine apartment, glass of chardonnay in hand from buying my first bottle of wine today (€2.89, .75 liter bottle, so don’t get too excited), sit down, and look up, toward where I know the almost full moon will be. The first thing I see, instead, is the constellation Orion.

I.) I was worried I wouldn’t be able to see the stars in the city.

V.) The wine, cheap and sweet or not, is good. I, a solid beer and liquor drinker at home, have not met a glass of wine I don’t like in Italy yet.

C.) I thought, as I flew through the starless night on the plane over here, that the nearly 7,000 mile difference between the U.S and Italy would render the night skies totally different, and I would find I wasn’t even looking at the same stars as you anymore.

N.) Cassiopeia will always be my favorite constellation. But Orion has become my touchstone.

I place a wish on the three jewels on Orion’s belt. When the sun sets, I hope the night sky is clear enough that you can look up and find them.


XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment